If exercise does not have any effect, we can help you with tummy tuck (i.e. abdominoplasty). Not only will you have a flatter tummy without excessive skin, but you will also get rid of stretch marked skin.
Advantages of abdominoplasty
- The biggest advantage is the solution of several problems at the same time. During one surgery you get rid of droopy skin, excessive fat and the abdominal separation.
- Statistical data shows that a "reduction" of waist size by up to two clothing sizes is possible. The cosmetic effect is indeed substantial. Moreover, if you carefully stick to postoperative instructions and avoid any excess weight, the visible effect will be permanent.
Drawbacks of abdominoplasty
- Beware! The procedure is definitely not a method for extreme weight reduction, on the contrary, the procedure is rather risky for very obese patients.
Abdominoplasty may be combined with tummy liposuction. The result is even more visible. Consult your surgeon, if the combination is suitable for you.
- We will explain everything very carefully. We will take necessary photographs before the surgery and the surgeon will again explain the method. Do not be afraid to ask anything.
- You will be under general anaesthesia.
- At abdominoplasty, the tummy skin with subcutaneous fat is released from an incision in the lower abdomen. The surgeon pulls the skin to the navel, the excessive skin and fat is removed and the navel is put in its new position. In case you suffer of abdominal separation, the muscles are sutured together.
- Do not be afraid, the final scar after tummy skin reduction is in the lower abdomen, most frequently positioned in such a way to be covered by underwear.
- A small scar is around the navel which is in a new position.
- If your skin is only slightly saggy, mainly in underbelly, we can perform so-called miniabdominoplasty upon a mutual agreement. During the procedure, only the skin in the lower abdomen is smoothed out and the navel remains in its position.
- On the contrary, when the tummy skin is too saggy, it is impossible to avoid the change of the navel position as well as scars leading in the centre, from the navel to underbelly.
- At the end of the operation, skin and hypodermis are sutured together and drains are put in the wound. Still at the operating theatre, your tummy will be compressed with elastic postoperative garment.
- The surgery on average takes about 2 to 3 hours.
Expect mostly two-day hospitalization after the surgery.
Physiotherapy will start the first day after the tummy tuck at your bed (getting up, walking bent forward accompanied by a nurse). Physiotherapy is required to prevent serious complications like embolism.
We usually change the dressing and remove drains the second day after the surgery. We will help you put on the firm abdominal band or special compressing panties and you will be released home.
You will continue to watch the tummy carefully, walk bent forward slightly to avoid strain. You cannot take a shower until 2 to 3 days after the drains are removed.
The postoperative period is rather demanding; the recovery may take even several weeks. Resting is absolutely essential to ensure a successful healing process after this surgery.
If there are no complications, the follow-up is held 14 days after the surgery. Wear the elastic compression underwear for a period of at least 4 to 6 weeks. This underwear functions as a mechanical support which protects the abdominal wall and when muscles are contracted, it helps quicker healing and connecting of skin-fat layer and muscles.
If the abdominal separation is not treated, the recovery time is significantly shorter.
You can slowly increase the burden to your tummy, however not until one month after the surgery.
Drop exercise for at least two months after the surgery.
Possible risks at abdominoplasty
Cumulation of a fluid or blood in subcutaneous layer, so-called seroma or hematoma, is the most frequent consequence if you fail to observe resting. If it is a small-scale problem, the fluid or blood absorbs spontaneously, if it is of larger scale, the content must be released. The fluid cumulation may re-appear if you fail to rest.
In some cases, wound dehiscence, or the separation of wound edges, may occur. If the wound opening is minor, the wound heals spontaneously. A larger wound opening requires new sutures.
When necrosis occurs, a skin patch dies, usually in the underbelly. Most often it occurs when liposuction is performed at the same time or the abdominal skin is too tense. Smokers, diabetics and people with obesity and high blood pressure are more endangered. Necrosis also endangers patients with previous abdominal surgeries, scars in tummy area and older people. Also, a fully erected body posture and a failure to rest after the surgery supports the necrosis development. If a larger-scale necrosis occurs, a correction procedure is required, and the recovery protracts.
A blood supply disorder in the navel area and in the wound edge skin is a rare complication. An irregular scar shape may also occur as a result of uneven tension in the tummy skin.
Lower abdomen skin sensitivity disorder is a standard side effect related to the surgery. In most cases, it corrects itself within one year after surgery. It is not considered as a complication.
Why choose us?
A top team of plastic surgeons
Our team consists of the best certified professionals. We have valuable experience and excellent references.
Thousands of successful procedures
Our surgeons have been in the business for more than 20 years. They have successfully performed thousands of operations and helped many patients.
State-of-the-art operating theatre
Our equipment and applied standards meet the strictest international standards. It is important for a successful surgery as well as for your safety after the procedure.
Do you consider a treatment?
What are the most frequent questions? You can ask us about anything. Don't feel ashamed, we are ready to help you.
Plan an appointment today. An experienced doctor will take care of you and you will learn many important facts.
Do you need advice? Contact us right now, we are at your disposal. We are ready to help you by formulating a question or scheduling an appointment with our doctors.