Liposuction is suitable for both women and men. Hips, thighs and the stomach are the most frequently treated areas. We also have good experience with liposuction procedures including knees, back, arms and even double chin. The final result depends not only on the chosen procedure method, but also on the skin elasticity. Which can depend on your age, hereditary dispositions, smoking, sunbathing and other factors.
On the Internet, you may encounter many new and "proven" liposuction methods which are almost non-invasive (e.g. radio-frequency lipolysis, ultrasound lipolysis, laser assisted liposuction etc.) Their effect is disputable, and they may also embody new and specific risks.
At the Body Clinic, we perform tumescent liposuction. It is a proven, reliable and efficient method. How is it done? Before the fat is sucked out, a liposuction solution is pumped into the treated area. The reason for this, is to enlarge the volume before suction while making the fat cells tense and fragile. Thanks to that, the suction can be performed more evenly and with significantly less bleeding. Do not be afraid. The liposuction solution contains a component which contracts blood vessels and an anaesthetic making it painless.
After the solution is pumped in, a thin liposuction cannula is put into the treated area through a few-millimetre-wide puncture mark. Using negative pressure, the fat is then removed from the body with semi-circular movements of the cannula in the subcutaneous tissue. The current trends are to use smaller cannulas to suck the fat out as evenly as possible, with minimum traumas to the subcutaneous tissue. To give you an idea about the cannula size, the cannulas currently used are only 2-4 mm in diameter.
The effect of liposuction is permanent if you avoid any large weight changes and stick to a healthy lifestyle. When large areas are treated with liposuction, your clothing size may drop by several numbers.
- We will explain everything to you before the procedure. Your surgeon will draw the treated area on your body and document everything. Also, all your questions will be answered. Don't be afraid to ask.
- The liposuction usually takes about 1-3 hours, depending on the amount and scope of treated areas.
- Liposuction is usually performed as an outpatient procedure, without the necessity of hospitalization. Only liposuctions on large areas are performed under general anaesthesia with one-day hospitalization.
- The treated areas are compressed with special elastic postoperative underwear immediately after the procedure.
- It is not advisable to drive a car or travel alone even after the outpatient procedure. Organize an accompanying person and transportation in advance.
It is very important to wear elastic postoperative compression underwear 24 hours a day, except during time of personal hygiene, for several weeks.
- Showering is possible 1 day after the procedure. Never take a hot shower. Take only a short and lukewarm shower as heat increases swellings.
- We recommend resting one to two weeks prior the first follow-up; avoid sport activities for several weeks.
- Massage the treated area with pressure as recommended by your surgeon. Your surgeon will give you precise instructions.
- You will see the final result of the procedure after 3-4 months. Protect the small skin incisions against UV radiation for at least six months. You can improve the appearance of scars 2-3 months after the procedure with a laser treatment which is also provided at our Clinic.
Possible risks of liposuction
Same as any other surgery, the surgery embodies risks which must be taken into account. They are general risks for surgeries under general anaesthesia (haemorrhage - hematoma, infection, pulmonary embolism, abnormal healing process, postoperative wound opening, keloid scar formation etc.), and also procedure-specific risks.
Possible risks related to liposuction
Same as any other surgery, liposuction embodies risks which must be taken into account. The most important risks include:
- Small differences in size and shape in pair areas.
- Unevenness of skin in treated area - the more radical (the more fat is removed), the bigger the risk is. Since the introduction of tumescence and small diameter cannulas, this risk has been reduced.
- Risk of loose skin above the treated area increases with age, scope of the procedure, non-adequate postoperative care and failures to wear elastic underwear, bad skin elasticity.
- Visible, hard scars after small skin incisions are another, less frequent, complication. These scars are generally a result of a bad tissue healing capacity of an individual and cannot be anticipated. (The appearance can be additionally improved with a laser treatment).
- Temporary skin pigmentation changes - darker spots, may appear, most often after big bruising absorbs. Temporarily or permanently reduced skin sensitivity above the treated area is a rare complication. It occurs more often when large areas are treated close to the skin.
- Fat embolism is a very rare, however possible, complication. It is a life-threatening situation. Bigger risks are reported at large procedures on large body areas. Since the introduction of thin cannulas, it is very unlikely for this to happen today.
- If the skin is too bruised with the cannula or there is a dramatic inflammation or infection, skin necrosis may occur. However, it is also an extremely rare situation.
- In literature, also other rare, life-threatening complications are described, e.g. a gastrotestinal perforation during stomach liposuction in case of an undetected abdominal hernia.
- As a result of liposuction, cellulitis in the treated area may become more apparent. This situation is not considered a complication, but an accompanying side effect based on the principle of the procedure. A corrective surgery must be necessary for some complications.
Why choose us?
A top team of plastic surgeons
Our team consists of the best certified professionals. We have valuable experience and excellent references.
Thousands of successful procedures
Our surgeons have been in the business for more than 20 years. They have successfully performed thousands of operations and helped many patients.
State-of-the-art operating theatre
Our equipment and applied standards meet the strictest international standards. It is important for a successful surgery as well as for your safety after the procedure.
Do you consider a treatment?
What are the most frequent questions? You can ask us about anything. Don't feel ashamed, we are ready to help you.
Plan an appointment today. An experienced doctor will take care of you and you will learn many important facts.
Do you need advice? Contact us right now, we are at your disposal. We are ready to help you by formulating a question or scheduling an appointment with our doctors.